Thursday 16 February 2012

A word from the Editor


Hello and a warm welcome to the first Molesey News of the new year! I am Steve Bax, editor of the Molesey News (and this website) and an aspiring councillor for East Molesey.


It’s been a busy couple of months since the last edition. In late November the Pavilion Appeal hearing took place at Elmbridge Civic Centre to decide whether 76 homes could be built in Hurst Lane, on land that was supposed to be reserved for community leisure and sport.

I was grateful for an opportunity to speak at the hearing and was hugely impressed by the passion and professionalism of the Molesey Community Action Group, who were more than a match for the opposition and carried the day.

A big well done to all of those residents and congratulations on a great victory. Looking ahead, 2012 has the potential to be a truly memorable year for Molesey. The Olympic cycle races in July and August will give our town unprecedented exposure to a massive global audience.

The spectacular views of Hampton Court Palace and the Thames are sure to inspire UK and overseas visitors to come here for a long time to come. Many of us may have a chance to see the Olympics up close and for free, and it will be great to see our town centre bustling with tourists. I hope this gives a welcome boost to our local shops who have endured some very difficult times recently.

Regrettably the road closures will bring disruption and inconvenience, but overall the benefits should outweigh the bad.

2012 will be a big year for me personally as I will be getting married in July at St Mary’s Church, East Molesey. It is likely to be the last wedding officiated by Rev. Carole Bourne before she retires, and is therefore a great honour for my fiancee and me.

You and I will also have the chance to elect new councillors on May 3. I will be standing again in East Molesey and will be putting forward some positive ideas on how to improve our area. It would mean the world to me if I were elected your councillor this time, and when you next hear from me I will set
out what I hope to bring to the role.

In the meantime I want to hear what your priorities are so that I can reflect them in my manifesto so please email your thoughts to MoleseySteve@gmail.com. My best wishes to you for a happy and prosperous 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment